Saturday, September 12, 2009

We Had THE Most Amazing Day Being Tourists!

Buckingham Palace. Parliament. Westminster Abbey. Big Ben. River Thames Waterfront. One Day. Gotta love it!

This morning, I set my alarm for 9am and the three of us were out the door by 9:30 Buckingham Palace-bound! We got tickets online to see the Royal Summer Opening of the palace state rooms. With our admission tickets, we saw nineteen staterooms, a bunch of beautiful gowns worn by Queen Elizabeth over the past 60 years or so as she travelled to countries around the world. From those countries, she was presented with a plethora of elaborate gifts and offerings that were also on display. It was unbelievable. The tour was guided by the cute little British voice in my headphones as I wandered through the palace. Room after room of gold, silver, silk -screened walls, ornate sconces, carved ceilings and crown moldings. Marble statues lined the halls and priceless paintings hung on the walls of her Majesty's predecessors. I think my favorite part was in the yellow drawing room, they pointed out this one floor to ceiling mirror with a wooden carved table underneath it, but this was no normal room fixture, the entire part of that wall swung open like a secret door to reveal the Queen's private living space behind it. I thought that was really really cool. It was something that I know we will never forget, so if you get a chance, I HIGHLY recommend seeing the interior of her Majesty's London residence.

Afer we exited the back of the palace and meandered through the 30 acres of Royal gardens in the back, we found the street again and made our way toward the River Thames. On the way, we past Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and Parliament. Luckily, we had the most glorious day which made for fantastic photos. We stopped when we hit the river's edge and just sat as we watched the London Eye make revolutions. It was so amazing and peaceful. We were fairly tired so we took the tube back to Kensington and now I'm here uploading a bunch of photos to facebook. Going out to dinner and then the bars later!!

Here are a few of my favorite photos from this afternoon!!




No comments:

Post a Comment