Friday, September 11, 2009

Bloody Good Night Out

So I realized yesterday that the two pairs of dress pants that I got at the Zara in DC before I left for the summer that were meant for my internship in London are not in London. I think I remember packing them, but I don't remember unpacking them or seeing them at the hotel the first week or anything. I'm hoping that they were mistakenly packed in the Florida boxes or something because I hate to think that they were stolen. After class yesterday, I went to the Zara down the street here and got a pair of dress pants to make up for the fact that I was slacking. Class by the way...I really don't love this theater class. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was not this. Way over my head material. I would much rather take a business class, but of course I am barred from those because I'm in the comm program. I just feel really out of place in the class and for 6 hours a week, I'd rather enjoy what is being taught.

Speaking of British theater! Last night, we went to see Blood Brothers in the West End. Its the only show that we all get to see as a group that was organized by our abroad program, so the tickets were waiting for us in our welcome kits last week. We had great seats, row F orchestra to be exact. The show was classified as a musical, but only because it had "music" in it. It was definitely no happy Broadway show I'm accustomed to seeing at home. It was about these two brothers who were separated at birth and their mother can't afford to raise them both so she gives one baby away to her boss/neighbor. The mother has separation issues and basically follows her other son around for years to come as to not lose touch with him. He doesn't know that she is his mother though. It was very Deep End of the Ocean... Anyway, the two brothers become friends without knowing they are related and grow up together, end up fighting over a girl and in the last scene they both are in a heated argument over the girl and before one gets to shoot another one, a police officer kills them both. End of show. Curtains. It was terribly depressing and no one was really sure why we saw this show, but the acting was great. Not exactly the mentality we wanted as we were leaving the theater, but to lift our spirits we decided to go out! A group of about 10 of us walked over to Leicester Sq/Piccadilly and were assaulted by a bunch of different club promoters trying to get us all to come to their "very special" clubs at "very special" prices. We finally bargained with one promoter from Sound to let the guys in for five pounds each and the girls in for free. We thought that was a good deal and so we went to the top floor of this huge lit up building (after going through metal detectors and a good pat down???) and we were the only one there. It was us, the bartender, an empty dance floor, and a wall of LED lights. The club was owned by Christian Audigier and just like his trashy clothing lines, you can see why no one wanted a part of this place. After buying drinks and being disappointed with said drinks, we peaced. We ended up at this three floor irish bar called O'neills that Paige remembered going to so we all went there. THIS PLACE WAS SO MUCH BETTER!! cheapppp drinks, a bar on each floor, and on the top floor was a live band doing covers of songs from the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Jet. They were unbelievable. After we left O'neills, we went to KFC and I got about enough food for 3 people and we ended up getting pushed out because we stayed way past closing. Oops! We left around 2am and found a bus back to Kensington since the tube closes here at midnight. Such a fun night with great people.

Loving London!!!!
Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment