Sunday, November 29, 2009

my home away from home during the holidays...

I'm sitting here on Sunday the 29th of November, just 21 days away from my departing flight from Heathrow airport back home to Miami. I have Pandora internet radio playing in the background my favorite holiday station. Reflecting back on this past week, the holiday season is really starting to set in here in London.

Last weekend, Brian, Rebs, and myself went to the Oxford Street Christmas market to see what it was about. Our program recommended that we go to see it so we did! It was smaller than I thought, but very festive nonetheless. We got german brats and walked around to see all the crafters and holidays things. There was one booth that had ties and bow-ties made of wood. I know its really hard to picture it, but they were actually wearable. I never saw anything like it before so I got a bow-tie. On Wednesday, I wore it to work and I got no less than 4 compliments on it so I'd say it was a pretty cool souvenir.
On Thursday evening, most of the Americans in my program went out to a small Italian restaurant at the end of our block, got ourselves a table for 20 and had a "Thanksgiving meal" consisting of garlic bread and pasta. It obviously wasn't the same, but it was something. It was really nice to be alone together with everyone else. Mel's boyfriend Will had just arrived from the States to visit so he was able to join us for our meal. It was really nice to see a familiar face from home and I think Mel really appreciated it.

The two following pictures are from Thanksgiving. As you can see, I wore my festive sweater and plum-colored blazer to represent the lack of actual pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce at the table that night.

Yesterday I went to Mailboxes, Etc. and got two huge boxes to mail home. I've accumulated a lot of souvenirs, holiday gifts, and clothes while abroad so there is no way I would have been allowed on the plane with my threepossiblyfour suitcases so my dad suggested I just ship boxes home. One box went to the Savona Winds house in Florida and the other went to Wisconsin Place back in DC. After both boxes were packed, it felt amazing!! I looked in my closet and a lot is now gone and I can manage for the last three weeks with less than usual. It will be nice to not even be able to fill both suitcases now coming home: a huge burden that I have literally been losing sleep over.

Last night I watched the DVD version of 'Up' that Kelly sent me in the mail. What an amazing film with so many powerful messages to boot. I went to bed last night in a great mood.

We go to Roma in SIX days! I can't wait to see Italy!! I think it will be so unbelievable, possibly the most amazing city that I'll get to visit while here in Europe. Even though we are only there for a few days, I think we will manage to fit in a lot.

Also, a bunch of us are going to see one last West End show before we leave London: we got tickets to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof starring Felicia Rashad and James Earl Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing those two amazing actors on the stage in front of me. It should be a nice treat following work that day! Getting back to reality on this rainy Sunday, most likely going to start some of my work today. Or not. We shall see.

Can't wait until the 20th!!!!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment